Hiring A Public Adjuster? Ask These Questions First

If you are thinking of hiring a public adjuster, chances are, your commercial property has suffered some damages, and you need to make an insurance claim. Be it water damage or storm damage; you are looking for some assistance with the insurance claims process. You are looking for someone to advocate for you, maximize your claims, and, most importantly, someone who takes care of your best interests. With such essential duties, you need to find the right person to do the job. Here is a list of questions to ask when hiring a public adjuster.

Do You Have a License?

Public adjusters must obtain an adjuster license; it is against the law to practice without a license. Some states expect adjusters to pass a pre-licensing course and pay a surety bond to be licensed. They also are expected to clock education credits for renewal. Check the state’s law requirements and ensure your public adjuster aligns with them.

How Many Years of Experience Do You Have in the Industry?

You want someone who knows how to look for invisible damage, is an expert in insurance lingo and administration and is a great negotiator. This expertise comes with experience in the industry. In a company like Stone Claims Group, all the adjusters have at least ten years of experience working in the industry.

Do You Have a Team Working with You?

Two heads work better than one. Having a team of experienced adjusters means they can pool their knowledge and resources to obtain better results for their clients. However, some big firms contract claims preparation work to freelancers. You want to make sure that they are personally working on your claim, even with a team.

Do You Have Experience in This Type of Property Damage?

You want to work with an adjuster qualified to deal with your unique situation. Each type of property has its special features and coverage details. In addition, claims are much more extensive for commercial buildings. An experienced adjuster will have the necessary knowledge to surface unseen damages and stay ahead of the game.

Can You Provide Me with Local References?

As you would look at reviews of products you buy online, ask for local references to hear what past clients say. Damage claims involve payouts that are essential to you and your business; you want confidence that hiring them is the right choice.

How Are You Paid?

Public adjusters only receive their pay after you receive your settlement. A percentage of the compensation will be paid to the adjuster, so it is in their interest to negotiate the best deal possible for you. Some adjusters like Stone Claims group will provide a free evaluation to give you an idea of what to expect from this deal.

What Are Your Errors and Omission policies?

Errors and Omissions (E&O) is a type of insurance that protects the company against the full costs of claims. This liability insurance ensures that your public adjuster can compensate you if they make a mistake that costs you money. All licensed public adjusters must equip themselves with this policy.

Contact Stone Claims Group for a free loss evaluation and learn how we can help you get the best deal.


    Notes (optional): "Please feel free to address anything else (your title, number of buildings, number of stories, number of units, etc.)"